Saturday, November 23, 2013

Social Anxiety trumps Social Life


Weddings, funerals, and, when necessary ... the dreaded family get-together that is much of the social life when you live with someone who suffers from chronic social anxiety disorder (and yes, takes medication for it). A special event will come up from time-to-time, as it did the other night. My spouse attends, because it is the expected and "normal" thing to do. But it causes anxiety, which I am sorry to say, causes me anxiety as well.  I don't like to see my spouse feeling this way and knowing all the while that they are in a situation that they do not want to be in ... feeling the room closing in on them. I can't help but be anxious the whole time myself. I try not to let it take the enjoyment out of special events for me, but frankly, it is difficult not to take on some of that pain when you know the person you love is suffering. I see families out doing things together and can't help but feel different, yet I remain thankful for the relationship I have been given. Hope is always there.

If you want more information or need help, visit www.NAMI.org.
If 

No comments:

Post a Comment